Community Mennonite Church is called to be a multi-ethnic/multi-racial Anabaptist community of faith, serving Markham and the surrounding communities. Our commitment to openness, flexibility, outreach, service, and peacemaking in obedience to the Holy Spirit, also extends to the larger global community.
Confession of Faith:
CMC is a part of Mennonite Church USA. This community of faith works hard at clarifying its response to the Gospel’s call. The Confession of Faith in a Mennonite Perspective reflects our best and ever-evolving understanding of God’s never-changing truth. We pray that our expression of faith is always assisted – indeed determined! – by the loving guidance of the Holy Spirit.
We believe that Christ has called us to model a church where walls are being broken down by the power of the Holy Spirit –
- walls of fear that stereotype and separate culture and race. As participants in God’s kingdom and agent of Christ’s reconciliation, we don’t only celebrate diversity, we see it as part of our mission to actively resist racism where we find it, dismantle it where we can, and name its dynamics of white power and privilege as they occur.
- walls of insecurity that keep women and men in bondage to traditional roles;
- walls of confusion that cause us to divide over the question of when and what kind of human life is to be cherished;
- walls of selfishness that prevent us from sharing our resources generously;
- walls of pride that lead us to value some gifts, roles and personalities more than others;
- walls of judgement that keep us from forgiving and being forgiven.
Jesus calls us to follow him in tearing down these walls and to experience the wholeness which occurs when we do.